ESTA Requirements

Passport Requirements
  • You must have a passport from one of the following countries (Australia, Austria, Andorra, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Malta, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom).
  • You must have a passport that contains a machine-readable section on the biographic page
  • Your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in the U.S. Passports with validity of less than 90 days will be admitted into the U.S., however, the visitor can only stay legally until the date the passport expires.
  • You must have an electronic passport with a chip (the chip contains the passport holders biometric data). From April 1st, 2016, all passengers traveling to the US on the Visa Waiver / ESTA program must have an e-Passport with an electronic chip, as pictured. NOTE: you will not be eligible to apply for an ESTA visa waiver if the passport you will be using to visit the U.S. does not have an electronic chip. If it cannot be ascertained that your passport has an electronic chip, then you may be denied boarding on inbound U.S. aircraft.

Electronic Chip in Passport

Digital Photograph on Passport

Machine Readable Code on passport

Travel Requirements
  • Your visit to the U.S. is for tourism, business, transit, medical, or transit purposes.
  • Your visit to the U.S. is for less than 90 days.
Application Requirements
  • You must apply online for your ESTA.
  • You must apply for your ESTA prior to your departure to the U.S. You will receive a response in within minutes after applying, although for a small percentage of applicants, 72 hours may be required for further processing.
Other Requirements
  • Arriving by Air or Sea: Travelers arriving into the U.S. by air or sea must hold a return ticket to their home country or an onward ticket to another non-U.S. destination. If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry.
  • Arriving by Land: Foreign nationals entering the U.S. by land from Canada or Mexico must be in possession of a completed form I-94W. The I-94W is usually provided by CBP authorities at a U.S. port of entry.
  • *If transiting the United States to a destination in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, you may re-enter the United States on the return journey using any mode of transport, as long as the total visit, including both periods of time spent in transit and in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, does not exceed 90 days.
  • *If transiting to a destination outside of Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, the return journey must be on a participating carrier, but need not be within 90 days, as you will be required to make a new application for admission.

Visa Applicants

If you do not meet all the above requirements, you will need to apply for a visa. Visit for more information.

If you wish to stay longer then 90 days in the U.S., or, wish to study for college or university credit, gain employment, work as a member of the foreign press, radio, film, journalists, or other information media, or become a permanent U.S. resident, you must apply for the appropriate visa as your travel purpose does not fall under the Visa Waiver Program guidelines. Visit for more information.

ESTA Refusals Denials

If your ESTA application has been refused you will need to apply for a visa if you wish to travel the U.S. Visit for more information.

Correcting ESTA Errors

If you made a mistake on the ESTA application, you will need to send an email to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in order to have the change amended on your ESTA application.

ESTA Ineligibilities

Foreign nationals with minor traffic offences, yet without an arrest and/or conviction, should first apply for an ESTA in order to travel via the VWP, assuming all other requirements are met.

For foreign nationals with a criminal record, we unfortunately cannot comment on their individual circumstances or eligibility, however, all foreign nationals are recommended to apply for an ESTA before attempting to apply for a visa. Foreign nationals wishing to travel to the United States are not eligible is they meet any of the following criteria:

  • have been arrested,
  • have criminal records,
  • have a certain communicable diseases,
  • have been refused entry into the U.S.,
  • have been deported from the U.S.,
  • or have previously overstayed a visa or visa waiver

Apply for ESTA

An ESTA visa waiver is required for tourism, business or transit travel of less than 90 days.. Failure to obtain an ESTA can lead to denial of entry at the border and a large fine. It is advised to apply as soon as possible.

Apply for ESTA